Singapore Airlines has long run a ‘Spontaneous Escapes’ promotion. Every month they release a new list of flights that can be booked at a significant discount when redeeming KrisFlyer Miles. I can only imagine they do this to get bums on the seats of routes they anticipate will be empty – which means the routes are usually obscure and largely irrelevant for most travellers. This month, however, there are some cracking options.
The February Spontaneous Escapes promotion is running until February 28 and you can book for dates across the month of March. Some of the best deals for Australian travellers can be found below – but you can view the full list of offers here.
Note that all of these offers work in either direction (i.e. you can fly Melbourne to Singapore or Singapore to Melbourne).
- One-way business class from Singapore to Melbourne, or Sydney for just 28,000 KrisFlyer Miles – and then come back for another 28,000 Miles – for a total of 56,000 Miles return. The usual price is 62,000 points one-way so this is a 55% discount.
- One-way business class from Rome or Barcelona to Singapore for 38,000 Miles
- One-way premium economy from Los Angeles to Singapore for 38,000 Miles
So theoretically you can fly return business class from Melbourne or Sydney to Barcelona or Rome for 132,000 Krisflyer Miles – if you book a return trip from Australia to Singapore, and then a return trip from Singapore to Europe.
As I said before the above options are just a selection of February’s offers, and some routes have flight number and date restrictions – but it’s definitely worth looking at flights, as this is one of the better redemptions offers I’ve seen in recent memory.
To book you need to run the search as you usually would at Singapore Airlines. When you initially run the search the flights will appear at their regular price. Once you select the flights however you’ll be presented with the discounted total in the top right of the screen. From there just continue booking as per usual. A quick tip…try to get on the A380 flights or 777-300ER flights as the 777-200 that Singapore flies to Australia uses the ‘regional business class’ with seats that don’t recline fully flat.
Don’t have any KrisFlyer Miles? You’re not completely out of luck as you have two very simple ways of getting them.
- Virgin Velocity Members can instantly transfer Virgin Velocity points to KrisFlyer at a rate of 1.5:1, which means for a return trip Sydney – Singapore – Sydney you’d need to transfer 84,000 Velocity points into your KrisFlyer account (which you can open here).
- American Express Membership Rewards points transfer to KrisFlyer Miles at a rate of 1:1 so you just need to transfer 56,000 MR points for a return trip from Melbourne or Sydney to Singapore in business class, or 132,000 for a return trip to Europe. The American Express Explorer Card offers 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months – almost enough for a round trip to Singapore using this offer.
If you don’t have enough KrisFlyer Miles this time around, you can take steps to ensure you’re ready next time. First, sign up to our email newsletter and you’ll be the first to know when there is a great offer like this. Secondly, start researching which credit cards are right for you and when the time is right, take advantage of one of the bonus point offers that American Express and the banks offer regularly – likewise we’ll keep you up to date on the best credit card offers when you sign up to our newsletter below.