As you might’ve noticed recently, competition in the global airline industry has never been hotter and prices across the board have never been lower. To entice new customers, including members of Qantas‘ Frequent Flyer program and Virgin Australia’s Velocity program, United Airlines have launched a status challenge effective today.
Gold and Platinum frequent flyers on a slew of airlines – for us Australian’s notably Qantas & Virgin – now have the ability to unlock 90 days of Gold status benefits across the whole Star Alliance network with the United status match challenge. If you play your cards right and have a flight with United coming up soon, you also have the potential to extend these benefits for an entire year. Plus, you get to choose when your status challenge starts, so if you’ve got a Star Alliance flight booked later in the year and want the perks to kick in for that flight, you’re in luck.
Ready to unlock a world of Star Alliance lounge access, priority check-in and boarding, and increased baggage allowance…come this way.
Part of the ‘Status Challenge’ promotion, once accepted you begin with 90 days of access to United’s Premier Gold or Premier Platinum tiers, both of which line come with Gold Star Alliance status.
As a reminder, Star Alliance status gives you access to benefits when flying on the following airlines.
- Adria Airways
- Aegean Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana Airlines
- Austrian Airlines
- Avianca Brasil
- Brussels Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Shenzen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Swiss International
- TAP Portugal
- Thai Airways International
- Turkish Airlines
Virgin Velocity Gold & Platinum members are welcome to apply, as well as Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold, Platinum, and Platinum One status holders. Additionally, United invites status members of the following programs to apply. For those of you who already hold Star Alliance status, well you’re out of luck.
- Air France (Flying Blue Gold, Platinum)
- Alitalia (MilleMiglia Gold, Platinum)
- American Airlines (AAdvantage Platinum, Platinum Pro, Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey)
- British Airways (Executive Club Silver, Gold, Premier)
- Cathay Pacific (Marco Polo Club Gold, Diamond)
- China Airlines (Emerald, Paragon)
- China Eastern (Eastern Miles Gold)
- China Southern (Sky Pearl Gold)
- Delta Air Lines (Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion)
- Emirates (Skywards Gold, Platinum)
- Etihad (Guest Gold, Platinum)
- Finnair (Plus Gold, Platinum)
- Hawaiian Airlines (Pualani Gold, Platinum)
- Japan Airlines (Sapphire, Diamond, JGC Premier)
- Korean Air (Morning Calm Premium)
- LATAM (Platinum, Black, Black Signature: choose ‘LAN Airlines’ from the list and add a comment to your request as these names have recently changed)
- Malaysia Airlines (Enrich Gold, Platinum)
- Qatar Airways (Privilege Club Gold, Platinum)
- Virgin Atlantic (Flying Club Gold)
To learn more about the latest Star Alliance Status Match, and to get your shiny new United Gold status, visit the promotion page here.